I know what you’re thinking…enterprise systems are so much more complex, and they have extraordinarily high expectations for reliability and availability. Maybe so, but enterprise environments also have several distinct advantages when it comes to software engineering.
Enterprise environments are:
- Managed by legions of well trained, 24×7 system administrators.
- Provisioned with software and equipment from ‘A’ list providers so the environments are remarkably consistent from one to the next (often right down to the patch level.).
- Based on highly evolved processes for qualification and deployment of IT systems, software and hardware.
SMB environments, on the other hand, are not nearly as well defined. Managed Services Providers (MSPs) do an impressive job of managing SMB environments. Consider what most MSPs inherit when they start up with new customers:
- Environments that were improperly installed
- Systems that have been poorly managed, if they were managed at all.
- Multiple hardware platforms and configurations
- Different versions of two, or maybe three, operating systems
For these MSPs, service is their business and billable hours are the prime mover. Thus the most effective products in an SMB environment are products that can be installed and set up in minutes, upgraded automatically, and managed by exception.
Axcient services are designed with these requirements in mind. We will continue to focus our engineering efforts on providing MSPs, and their SMB customers, with the best data protection services available. If there is anything else we can do for you, just leave us a comment here on the blog.